Back in January I planted some echallion (or should it be echalion?) bulbs that I bought in Waitrose. At the time I didn’t know what they would do, and I promised to post an update. I forgot….
As you can see, each bulb (I had six) produced beautiful flowers over the summer, and then set seed. This would seem to suggest that they are, after all, echallions, and hadn’t been sprayed with any nasties to suppress sprouting :)
I collected seed. It is still in a paper bag somewhere and I need to sort it out, but next March I will be able to conduct the second phase of the experiment and see whether each seed forms a new echallion bulb.
I needed to clear the bed, and so pulled up the remains of the original sets. They were still firm and I wonder whether they would have been nice to eat (a bit like Welsh onion bulbs), or what they would have done if left to grow again next year. But I will have to wait to find that out.
(And, fortunately, there was no sign of white rot.)